Wednesday 8 October 2008

Apples and Gossip

My feet feel a bit sore today, l somehow managed to drop the preserving pan from the top shelf two days ago and it had the misfortune to land on my right foot which promptly swelled up to the size of a small marrow. Fortunately the swelling has reduced a bit now but l am still rubbing my foot in borage oil which seems to be doing the trick quite nicely.

The gossips in the village are having a field day at the moment, l heard, whilst collecting my Sunday newspapers from the Village Shop, that the Longshort Manor has at last been sold for some ungodly sum to an aristocrat who lives so Mrs Smart said, mostly in Monaco.

The Manor's history goes a long way back in time, there are remains of the castle in the park, whilst the modern house was built during the reign on Elizabeth 1, all timber frames with red and black brickwork. The house remained in the same family,the Wilton-Smythes for many hundreds of years, l believe the first incumbents came over with William the Conqueror. The last family members fell foul of the last war, with both sons being killed in North Africa, Incidently Daisy Brown, she of the high kicks and loose morals, ran off with the younger son, Guy, at the age of 14 to Paris in 1934. He returned just before the war to take up a commission in the Camel Corps; where Daisy went no one knew, forgotten until she returned to the village as Mrs De La Poule about 25 years ago.

The windy weather has brought down rather a lot of windfalls in the back orchard. A few years ago now, a rather nice young man from the council or was it DEFRA came and inspected my apples, apparently the trees are from very ancient stock you know! Varieties such s Persh Apple, rusty coat and little Herbert. This afternoon then, well in fact after l have finished my drinkings, l am off out, armed with my wicker baskets to gather the crop before the birds and animals eat them!

Apple Ginger:
4lb apples
4lb sugar
3 pints water
2oz ground ginger

Peel and core the apples and cut them into thin slices. Dissolve the sugar in the water and boil syrup until thick. Add the apple slices and boil until transparent. Stir int he ginger, boil for 5 minutes, pour into jars and cover.

this is good for filling tarts.
makes about 6lbs.

6 comments:

Un Peu Loufoque said...

Hello there Mrs ElderBerry. I shall have to ask around and see if anyone in my neck of the woods knows your high kicking Daisy with the loose morals and French Nom. She sounds like one of my characters!I might try your apple recipe as we have loads!

muddyboots said...

interesting apple and ginger recipe, might give it a try

Un Peu Loufoque said...

Popped over to say thank you for your kind words on my blog and to tell you I am drawing the winners name for the Christmas Give Away on my blog http://glazedexpression.blogspot.com/
tomorrow.mdwxqwyd

Pili pala said...

Love your blogg. I noticed from your comments on Sally Chateau's blogg you had an interest in the Cathars. I live in the Pyrenees and am facinated with the history of the Cathars. Would you recommend any books literature? I'm looking forward to reading your next blogg x

snailbeachshepherdess said...

Going to try making some apple ginger - makes a refreshing change

Grouse said...

You are all so industrious! Putting me to shame!