Thursday 16 October 2008

Amateaur Dramatics

Goodness me what a week. Longshort manor has been a hive of activity, vans, lorries and cars turning in through the Griffin topped gates from the main road. Morris-from-the-bottom-of-the-lane tells me that the decorators are in, some posh company from London so Mrs Eastern said at church on Sunday. Builders have been erecting scaffolding around the house and men in hard helmets have been crawling all over the place like blue beetles. Apparently, so Morris-from-the-bottom-of-the-lane says, inside everything is either being ripped out or restored. I seem to remember that there was lots of ribbon paneling in the Great Hall and the most marvelous oak staircase with twisted newel post and carvings of fierce, toothy animals staring down at you. Morris, who had been invited inside the other evening brought me back a rather nice silver creamer. He is such a nice boy, despite his facial piercings and tattoos.

Sunday's church service saw the church almost full, something not of the usual. The reason this time was the Village Players, a group of old dears, myself included, who enjoy a good sing along. This season we are doing songs from the musicals. We have been rehearsing for about 8 weeks now, and over the winter take our little show out onto the road to old folks homes around the county. My little performance is from Annie Get Your Gun, l do so enjoy twirling my gun and slapping my thighs. I hasten to add that Mrs De La Poule is doing a fan dance, the last time she exhibited herself in this manner an old gentleman died of heart failure, at the mere sight of her fleshy body. The hussy showed no remorse only adding, ' well he died with a smile on his face'.......... Shameless woman!

This evening l am going out to the monthly Towdry Herbalist Society, we all normally take a selection of nibbles so l had better get my skates on and get baking my apple cake, a nice seasonal delicacy.

Grandma Wilson's Apple Cake

4 apples
3oz butter
1/4 pint fresh milk

2 free range eggs
2ozplain flour
3 tablespoons sugar

Peel the apples, [saving the peel for the compost
bucket], and fry them in hot butter. Mix the eggs, milk and flour. Stir in the apples and butter. put in a greased 7 inch sponge sandwich tine and bake at 375'C, 190'C, gas mark 5 or cake oven in the aga for 20 minutes. Turn out , spinkle with sugar, and brown in the oven or under the grill.



5 comments:

Grouse said...

I'm waiting for the recipe book, Mrs E- for my son's Xmas pressie.........

Mrs Rhubarb said...

Well I said I'd return a visit to you and here I am. That person who has taken on the big house sounds all new money and no taste, ruddy jumped up barrow boy I expect and imaigne his wifes no better. Our Mrs framley would like a house like that to swank over, as it is she has to do with a ex 1960's red brick council house which she has gentrified with a horrid mock Georgian portico and topiary bay trees, Daft woman.

Elizabethd said...

That is a different recipe to my apple cake, which has lots of fruit with it. Anything with apples is good at this tiem of year.

Sally Townsend said...

From where I'm sitting at the moment in the West Country my dear the neighbouring property has EXACTLY the same sort of wrapping that you describe, funny that.

Pondside said...

That apple cake sounds delicious - I've never heard of frying the apples first.
It sounds as though there's lots going on in your neck of the woods - I look forward to hearing more!